Exhaustion to Energy – Naturally!
- Posted on Sep 10, 2018
Where Did My Energy Go?
You get up in the morning, feed the kids, grab a quick breakfast for yourself as you run out the door to go to work. You jump in your car, drop the kids off at school, stop at your favorite coffee shop for a “wake up call,” drive to work or back home (if you are a stay at home/work from home Mom or Dad) thinking about everything you have to get done today. The list seems endless but you are up for the challenge! You don’t really have a choice; it’s all got to get done.
You are determined to make great things happen and before you know it, the caffeine has worn off and you are starting to feel tired – it’s only 10AM! Another coffee or tea and you push through to lunch. At 2 PM, the carbs in that sandwich you had for lunch start to do their thing. The dreaded food coma begins!
You push on as best you can, finish your day’s work, pick up the kids, make dinner, help them with their homework, get them to bed, clean up and now finally you have some time to yourself… but you are completely exhausted and too tired to do anything! You turn on the TV to zone out with a glass of wine or a cup of tea for a few minutes until you feel yourself drifting off. You decide to go to bed and as you put your head on the pillow you think …OMG! … Tomorrow is going to be exactly the same!
Sadly, for many people, you are right. Tomorrow will be exactly the same, and the day after, and the day after that … unless you change something!
Make Simple Changes
The great news is that there are some very simple, effective, and enjoyable changes you can make to your lifestyle that will not only boost your energy, but they will also improve your mood, your attitude and your ability to get more done without exhaustion.
The key is to take baby steps that gradually incorporate more healthy habits into your life. Be sure to take a moment to notice and enjoy experiencing your increase in energy.
Five Easy Changes You Can Make This Week:
- Instead of falling out of bed and dragging yourself to the shower… try jumping out of bed enthusiastically when the alarm goes off! Tell yourself “It’s going to be a fantastic day!” (It might seem silly, but just try it for the next 7 days!)
- Hot Shower / Cold Shower / Hot Shower / Cold Shower … if you can’t handle a full cold shower yet … take the shower head and give your feet a cold shower and gradually work your way to the rest of your body.
- Drink water first! I know many of you want to get to your coffee ASAP and I’m not going to ask you to quit the coffee. Have a glass of water first thing and, if you must have your caffeine, try tea instead. But start your day with water. Keep water on your desk or in front of you all day. You will feel the difference!
- Treat your body to a healthy breakfast. Vanilla Greek yogurt and fresh fruit is my fast breakfast of choice.
- Take a walk – actually take two! It doesn’t have to be the whole Pacific Crest Trail! A nice brisk 10 minute walk at lunch time (after your chicken salad, skip the carbs!) and another in the evening. Why not take the whole family, they will all benefit!
Are you game? Try it for 7 days and let me know how you feel.
You can do this!
Want More Help?
If you feel your energy loss is due to a health concern, please call Joy of Health at 503-554-5865 to schedule an appointment and get to the root cause of your fatigue.